As from the ancient times, the island of Crete in Greece has been a crossroad of civilizations and a bridge that connects 3 continents.
It is an island of intense geophysical changes, mountains with high peaks, plateaus, canyons with springs, lowlands and beaches beyond imagination.
The climate on the island is mild with temperatures from 22 to 30 degrees Celsius in the summer and from 9 to 16 in the winter. The sun shines for a total of 300 days a year.
What characterises Crete is Psiloritis, the majestic and imposing highest mountain of 2458m in altitude, right in the heart of the island.
- The rich biodiversity, a flora that includes over 1700 species, 10% of which are endemic.
- The unimaginable variety of animals that survive the microclimatic conditions of the area.
- The hundreds of birds that live permanently on the island, and those that use it as a stop while travelling.
- The particular geological phenomena, those that created and continue to evolve Psiloritis - in the past 5 million years, the mountain got higher by 1500m, as a result of the collision of the tectonic plates of Africa and Europe.
- The people, that inhabit this land since the Palaeolithic era till today, creating culture, myths, history, habits and customs, techniques to cultivate and utilize the land.
The above are the main reasons for which Psiloritis has been characterized as a NATURAL GEOPARK and is protected by UNESCO.
All these make the island of Crete and the mountain Psiloritis a unique place for any kind of visits, ecological, naturalistic, athletic scientific, even recreational ones.
ENAGRON is built in the centre of Crete, on the foothills of Psiloritis, at an altitude around 500 m, and it offers you the possibility to acquaint, explore, live and enjoy the uniqueness of this nature.
ENAGRON is a special hotel where you can enjoy high quality accommodation services, authentic cuisine, unique nature in a hospital and traditional Cretan environment.
Taking part in the activities we organise, providing help to those travelling individually and to groups of visitors, offering services that you may find in our website, we give you the opportunity to get to know the area from a rather more ecotouristic perspective.